This course is designed to prepare students for the iBT TOEFL (Internet-Based TOEFL) by focusing on reading and writing, or speaking and listening skills. Students will be
helped to understand the components of the test, what to expect in regard
to the computer procedures, and how to prepare for the test. The instructor
will introduce each section of the test and assist with problem areas.
Some of the class meetings will be held in a computer lab.
Level: Students must be intermediate to advanced speakers of English (equivalent to ELI level 4, 5 or 6) in order to register for the class.
Required Textbook: Longman Preparation Course for the TOEFL iBT Test by D. Phillips (paperback, with MyEnglishLab and online access to MP3 files and answer key), Longman, Third Edition 2014, ISBN: 9780133248128).
The textbook is available from The University Store on Fifth. During the course,
the text will be used for study of TOEFL test sections, for information on how to
prepare for the test, and for practicing the different skill areas tested by the TOEFL. This book can also be
used for self-study.
Dates (Fall 2015, university term 2161):
Please note that the dates for this course have changed.
- Module 1 (Reading and Writing) (NEW DATES): September 22 - October 27
- Module 2 (Listening and Speaking): (NEW DATES): November 3- December 8
- Taking both modules satisfies 24 hours of academic study requirement for International Au Pairs.
- This course is usually offered Fall, Spring, and Summer term.
Class days/times: Tuesdays 6:30 pm - 8:20 pm
Cost (not including text book or any materials):
- $200 per module for non-ELI students
- $165 per module for ELI students who have already registered for another course
in the ELI's intensive program
- Module 1 (Reading and Writing): September 11, 2015
- Module 2 (Listening and Speaking): October 30, 2015
- Please register in person or by mail.
- Payment is accepted by cash (in person) or by check, no credit cards.
- Make check payable to "University of Pittsburgh" .
- Return completed registration form and payment to:
University of Pittsburgh
English Language Institute
Attn: Admissions Officer, Short Courses
Parkvale Building, Room M13
200 Meyran Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
on taking the TOEFL at the University of Pittsburgh, please contact:
Computer Based Testing Center, Room G35 Cathedral of Learning
412-624-9103. Test times are arranged by appointment.
register online for the TOEFL at the TOEFL website: http://toefl.ets.org/tstgprog01.cfm