The ELI’s mission is to teach and serve students in the Intensive English Program and in the community, provide support to the University, and contribute to the profession of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). The ELI achieves this mission through service in three contexts: non-credit English classes, support for matriculated students at the University of Pittsburgh, and the field of TESOL.
Non-Credit English Classes
- High-quality, non-credit courses in English for speakers of other languages from abroad and the local international community who want to improve their English for academic, professional, or personal reasons
- Opportunities for students to experience life on an American university campus and to interact with members of the University campus and the local community
Support for Matriculated Students at the University of Pittsburgh
- English proficiency testing of non-native speakers of English who are matriculating in University programs
- Credit and non-credit English language support courses for matriculated students and teaching assistants/fellows who are non-native speakers of English
- Specialized English instruction to University programs by request
- Assessment of teaching assistants/fellows who are non-native speakers of English to ensure compliance with the legal requirements of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Teacher training, internships, and research opportunities for matriculated students in University programs in the areas of Applied Linguistics and TESOL
- Expertise for various other University-related endeavors that involve English language learners and TESOL
Field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Active participation in and contribution to the development of the field of English for speakers of other languages, especially in areas of classroom instruction, second language learning and acquisition, curriculum design, program structure, and administrative practices
- Support and opportunities for professional development
To accomplish this mission, the faculty, staff, and administration of the ELI are dedicated to adhering to professional standards in the field.