Requirements for Admission to the Intensive English Program in the ELI
To be accepted to the Intensive English Program in the ELI, students must:
Show proof of graduation from high school or attendance at a university.
Have at least a high beginning level of English (approximately equivalent to 24 on the internet-based TOEFL). All students take a placement test upon arrival. There are no classes for beginners, so students who place below the high beginning level will be directed to other English programs. The high beginning classes will not run if fewer than 10 students register.
Submit a completed application form including any required documents and appropriate fees (documents and fees are listed in section G of the application).
Requirements for Other Programs in the ELI
- Please visit the programs page for the program you are interested in for specific admission requirements for that program.
Requirements for an F-1 Student Visa
- The ELI can provide an I-20 for full-time language study in our program. Read more about how to get or transfer an I-20...
Admission to a Degree Program at the University of Pittsburgh
- Admission to the English Language Institute does not include admission to a degree program at the University of Pittsburgh.
TOEFL/IELTS Waivers and Conditional Admission
- ELI students who successfully complete the ELI's Intensive English Program may be eligible for a TOEFL waiver or conditional admission to the degree programs listed below. Please visit the degree program's website for more detailed information:
- Master's of Law (LLM) at the University of Pittsburgh
Tuition and Fees
- Please visit the Tuition and Fees page for more information.