Current students studying at the English Language and have an F-1 Visa must follow the requirements below to maintain a valid visa. If you have any questions, please contact the Student Services Supervisor at email@example.com.
Attend the school on your I-20
- If you change schools for any reason, you must see the Student Services Supervisor to request a transfer in SEVIS to the new school.
Inform the ELI of any change of address
- Updates must be made within 10 days of the change.
Be a full-time student
- Full-time study at the ELI consists of 5 Intensive English Program classes.
Make satisfactory Academic Progress
- Making regular academic progress is an SEVP condition for maintaining F1 visa status.
- Having excessive absences, missing work, and/or failing grades due to lack of effort may cause you to lose your visa.
Maintain a valid passport
- If your passport expires while you are here, you may get a new one at your country’s consulate.
Keep your I-20 Valid
- Check the program completion date and ask the Student Services Supervisor to extend an expiring I-20 before the end date if you are continuing in the ELI. If you ask after your I-20 expires, it is too late.
Keep your I-94 admission number updated
- Go to the I-94 website and print a copy of your admission number for the ELI main office each time you enter the US.
Keep the ELI Student Services Supervisor informed of your plans
- Your I-20 is only valid for as long as you are studying full time. The dates on the I-20 are shortened if you stop studying in the ELI.
- After you complete your ELI study, if you complete Level 6, you will have a 60-day grace period to prepare to leave the country.
- If you stop studying before completing Level 6, you will have 2 weeks to prepare to leave the country.
- The grace period begins on the last day of the last term you attended ELI classes. When the grace period ends, you must either transfer to a new program or leave the U.S.
- If you are traveling outside the US and plan to return to the ELI after travel, the Student Services Supervisor must sign the back of your I-20 before you travel.
- You are eligible for a SEVIS vacation term after completing two full-time semesters at the ELI.
- During a vacation term, you may take part-time classes, no classes or classes at another school without transferring.
Driver's license/State ID
- You may apply for a driver’s license or state ID if you have 6 months or more on your I-20.
- You need a letter from the ELI and other documents before visiting the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). See the Student Services Supervisor or ELI main office for more information.