The ELI believes that students learn English faster when they are actively using the language, both in the classroom and in real-world settings outside the classroom. We want our students to be integrated into the University community and the community around us, so we encourage our students can take advantage of the many opportunities to have fun using English outside the classroom and to make wonderful memories while they are in Pittsburgh. Check out the list below, then visit our Activities and Events Calendar to see what's happening soon.
Social and Cultural Activities with the ELI
The ELI has a dedicated Activities Coordinator who plans weekly social and cultural activities for our students, including:
- activities to learn about American culture - Halloween party, Independence Day Fireworks, Native American festival, Potluck Dinner, Easter egg hunt, making Valentine's Day cards, etc.
- cultural performances - symphony, ballet, opera, musical theater, plays, etc.
- sporting events - major league baseball, football, hockey, and basketball; minor league soccer; University sporting events
- outdoor activities - picnics, skiing, skating, kayaking, hiking, nature walks, camping, amusement parks, zoo, etc.
- visits to museums - Carnegie Museum of Art, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Andy Warhol Museum, Heinz History Center, Carnegie Science Center, Soldiers and Sailors Museum, etc.
- trips to other cities - New York City, Washington DC, Chicago, Niagara Falls, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Boston, Nashville, etc.
Community Outreach Activities
The ELI's Community Outreach Coordinator can help students:
Social and Cultural Activities with the University
In addition to the activities that the ELI plans for our students, the University also plans activities that are open to all students at the University. ELI students can meet and interact with other students at the University by participating in:
- entertainment, recreational, social, and educational activities planned by the Pitt Program Council
- activities designed to make connections between international students and other Pitt students through the Pitt Global Ties office
- volunteer opportunities coordinated through Pitt Serves
These and other activities and events happening on campus can be viewed on University's Events Calendar.
Things to Do in Pittsburgh
There are so many fun things to do and see in Pittsburgh! Many students love Pittsburgh so much that even come back to visit after they've completed their studies here.