Not only will you study with highly qualified teachers at a world-class university, you'll also enjoy living in one of America's Most Livable Cities!
Leaders in Teaching English as a Second Language
- Teaching English as a second language since 1964
- Class size: average of 16 students
- University-based program within the Department of Linguistics
- Intensive English program accredited by The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA), meeting the highest standards of excellence
- Founding member of the University and College Intensive English Programs (UCIEP)
- Member of English USA: the American Association of Intensive English Programs
- Active participant in NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- We encourage our students to use English outside of the classroom!
Experienced and Professional Instructors
- Instructors have master’s degrees or PhDs in relevant fields
- Use modern communicative teaching methodology
- Incorporate technology into all classes
- Actively involved in professional development, research, conference presentations, and textbook writing
- Pitt Series in English as a Second Language and other text books by our Instructors
A Highly Ranked University
- Among the Top 23 Public Universities in the US 2022 (U.S. News' annual America's "Best Colleges")
- Top 59 National Universities 2022 (U.S. News' annual America's "Best Colleges")
- Top 3% Best Global Universities (U.S. News & World Report 2022)
- #1 top public university in the northeast US 2022 (The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education)
- Top 10 Public Research Institution in the US (National Science Foundation 2021)
- Highly ranked programs in education, nursing, medicine, business, international relations, engineering, philosophy, and more
- Numerous achievements and honors
More facts and the answers to frequently asked questions about the University regarding student demographics, degree programs, faculty, finances, research, computing, libraries, and institutional advancement can be found in the University's Fact Book.
Conditional Admissions Options
- Guaranteed or conditional admission to select degree programs at the University of Pittsburgh or with one of the ELI's partners
- TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo language proficiency waivers
The Advantages of a Big City, the Friendliness of a Small Town
- Pittsburgh population: 305,000 city, 2.5 million greater metropolitan area
- The only city in the world with Research & Development Centers for Apple, Google, Microsoft, Intel, and Disney
- Home to a number of Fortune 500 companies and world-famous medical centers
- Home to the largest film studios outside of NY and Hollywood
- Theater, ballet, symphony, opera, and world-class museums
- Professional baseball, hockey, and football teams
- Hiking, camping, boating, and skiing nearby
- Close enough for weekend visits to New York, N.Y.; Niagara Falls; Washington, D.C.; Chicago, Ill.; the Great Lakes; and Atlantic City, N.J.
- Read more about why Pittsburgh has been called "America's Most Livable City"...